Bird watching excursions are available to all levels of birder, whether you are a serious twitcher hoping to find rare species or just a beginner, as guided or non-guided outings. Bird Life SA trained local guides are available at numerous birding hot spots to assist with the location of tricky species. Grab your binoculars and join us for full bird watching tours or for birding walks through the diverse natural areas.
Favourite birding sites in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa include wetlands of international importance (RAMSAR Sites), World Heritages Sites, Indigenous Forest patches and big five game reserves. A few choice sites visited on our birding packages are listed below.
- Wakkerstroom; Blue Korhaan, Bald Ibis, Crowned and Blue Cranes, Rudd’s Lark, Ground Woodpecker and Yellowbreasted Pipit
- Mkhuze Game Reserve, for excellent birding at the hides and pans in search of Neergards Sunbird, Pinkthroated Twinspot, Crested Guineafowl, Senegal lapwing while having a wildlife viewing experience at the same time.
- Muzi Pans and Lower Mkhuze River where Pel’s Fishing Owls and Southern Banded Snake Eagles are found along with a chance of seeing Lesser Jacana, Openbilled Storks, Pelicans and Pygmy Geese.
- Hluhluwe Game Reserve specials include Martial Eagle, Whiteheaded and Lappetfaced Vultures, Golden Breasted Buntings, Scarletchested, Whitebellied and Purplebanded Sunbirds, Blue Waxbills, African finfoot and many other water and dry thornveld specials.
- St Lucia in and around town discover Livingstone’s Turaco, Green Pigeon, Golden Rumped Tinkerbird and White Eared Barbet. The beach and estuary areas are also stunning with a variety of waders and shorebirds including Lesser Crested, Sandwich and Swift terns. An excellent area for finding difficult forest species such as Green Malkoha, Green Twinspot, Woodwards Batis and Brown Robins.
- The Greater St Lucia Wetland Park has a total of 526 species to be spotted including Southern Banded Snake Eagle, Cuckoo Hawk and Blue-cheeked Bee Eaters, Pink Throated Longclaw, African Fish Eagle, Flamingos and Pelicans. Package – St Lucia – Mkhuze – Kosi – Ndumo. Birding big one!!
- Richards Bay bird watching may include Thulasihleka Pan and Lake Mzingazi and Nseleni Nature Reserve– specials to be expected include Rufous Winged Cisticola, Brownthroated Weaver, Lesser Jacana and Half Collared King Fisher.
- The Raffia Palm Monument to look for Palmnut Vultures.
- Eshowe offers very “different” birding in various forests which deliver sightings of Spotted Ground Thrush, Narina Trogon, Orange Ground Thrush, Knysna Turaco, Starred Robin.
Products available in the rest of the country include:
- Pelagic Birding Boat trips out to sea.
- West Coast National Park and surrounding areas e.g. Langebaan,
- Visit the arid Kalahari for raptors and giant colonies of sociable weavers.
Bearded Vultures, unique sunbirds and other high altitude bird species.